Saturday, September 14, 2013

Weekly Writing #2! Objectives

So this week we got to read about writing objectives - something I needed a refresher in.
I got some good background back in the day with Dr. Ewing in AEE 100 but needed a little more content, especially since we going to be writing many objectives coming up soon!!!
While I had the chance to discuss some interesting concepts about objective writing with Dr. Foster as we drove up to Massachusetts for the Big E (see video below), I was more interested in the paired/new vocab in ag ed for Bloom's taxonomy terms.



First, let's reflect on Bloom's taxonomy... for my own sake. (new terms - easier to understand* level 2)
Bloom's taxonomy reflects levels of cognitive domain processing in the learning process.
1 (lowest level) = remembering
2 = understanding
3 = applying
4 = analyzing
5 = evaluating
6 = creating

NOW, the simplified version of Bloom's, as identifeid by Newcomb and Trefz wtih David Krathwohl:
1. remembering
2. processing
3. creating
4. evaluating

I find these to be simpler to understand, but interesting in that, they now are flipped with the new Blooms taxonomy... bringing evaluation as a higher-order cognitive power than creation. Something I hope to discuss in class sometime, as I cannot find much literature online about it! However, I did find this cool article on agricultural writing...

Regardless of differences in cognitive levels, LETS NOT FORGET THE 3 COMPONENTS of an OBJECTIVE!
1. Condition
2. Performance
3. Criteria!

In addition to Whittington's article, there was a reading from "Methods of Teaching Agriculture" that outlined objectives simply:
~what you want students to know
~help make decisions about sequence of instruction (knowledge/skill)

So there you have it, an outline of how I work best to plan things. Let's hope it sticks and more things come into play as we all jump into real life objective planning...

1 comment: