Thursday, October 3, 2013

Lab 3 - DEMO DAYS!

What did we do in my demo? Well, you may not think it is that relative to ag mechanics, but I'll tell you that there are certainly a lot of mechanics to understand in a DSLR camera and there are a lot of agricultural applications to photography... but really, we need to be able to understand equipment to use it, and many people do not know how to properly use a DSLR digital camera, but they are more often than not becoming a popular consumer item rather than your simple "point-and-shoot" camera.
So what did a simple, intro photography demo include? Well, I had to review some tricky terminology (see this dropboxed job operation sheet with vocab) before getting started, and I admit that it was a bit much and a bit too fast, and not a lot of "demonstrating" but given the nature of the activity, I thought it was important contextual info.
While it was a little disengaging with so much info, I do think my "students" learned something informationally new before even psychomotorally learning how to do something.
Classroom management wasn't too difficult, not that I recall, because I think the content was actually new to my cohort-members, distracting them from their roles ;) But I find that it can be difficult to manage the class when you are focusing on showing something or getting ONE student to show something.
One thing I do recall learning is how to try and apply this to what the students are doing in class/ag, especially as I TRANSITION from item to item in my lesson. It's important to make connections so that the students can place value in the content being taught.
For practice, it would be more helpful to have several cameras so that the students could simultaneously take photos, or pair up. This would depend on your program's resources and, hopefully, your school has some sort of photography class and a few cameras to use.
Above all, I really enjoyed this lesson/demo because it is something I am really passionate about - and while we have three types of passions (Dave Burgess, Teach Like a Pirate) - occupational, content, and personal - its a great place to be when you can align all three to allow your students to learn something new!!
OKAY now time for SHARING! Here are some photos that were taken by your peers in their demonstration practice :) Enjoy!
Emily? 

Annette... 

Annette again, I believe :) What a photographer!

9 comments:

  1. This was an interesting blog post Allison. I would have never thought about demonstrating the use of a camera. It is innovative ideas, like this, that make students want to take Ag classes. The pictures added a great piece to the blog, and its real evidence that the students were engaged and doing what you intended them to do. It was very cool too that you connected this to your reading, because we always preach that everything is connected in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures!!! This was a very unique idea! I am curious as to which class you intend to tie this into during student teaching? It would be fun to do with your officer team so that they know how to take better pictures for the scrapbook! I also like that you connected back to your reading. I really wish I had read that book instead of mine! It seems that you guys really learned a lot from it! Good job, and great reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alli,

    What a great blog write-up! I didn't think there was too much intro content. That information is necessary and we can challenge our students to handle this information. Sometimes I think that we try to simplify things so much, that we are teaching at a very slow or low level. Also, while it was tedious to have the two individual students follow the job operation in the front, it is what we had to do for this demo! I think you did a great job, and your classroom management is really improving, especially with that tricky Annette student ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison,

    You sure are right on one thing! You're cohort was to busy learning something knew that we were distracted in role-play, I did try however with my exposure comment =D

    Even though it was a very fast paced demo it was insightful and because we we're interested in it we kept up...somewhat. I think that this demonstration would be a great demo for any leadership course! It was very helpful, and I know that over-achiever FFA officers would want to know this as well.

    P.s. Casi took the last picture you have posted =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I really liked your idea for a demo lab! I never would have thought of something like this! I agree with the fact that we really do use a lot of photography with agriculture. I thought your blog reflection was really beneficial as well. You did a great job reflecting on what you did and what you could have changed. I also really enjoyed how you put some of the pictures that your "students" took into your post. They were really enjoyable and made me laugh. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Literally love your photos. Those are easily the highlight of the blog! hahaha

    Either way, I can't wait to watch your video. Mike mentioned it well in his demonstration about how agriculture can encompass a lot, and as educators we can bring all that variety into our classroom. I'm glad to see that you are starting that off right away! Though there are three defined steps in a demonstration, I think all of us who went can agree that it will take few under our belts to really get the hang of it! Great reflection, Hoov!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alli,

    You did a great job relating the camera to your leadership class and ag mechanics. One area that I think you could have improved on with the right technology, would be to have a camera projector that we could use to see all the parts of the camera up close. You did a good job by using the tv and showing it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first when I saw the pictures before reading, I thought a problem student was taking pictures and then you posted them but then I realized that is what you taught your lesson. This was a unique and different topic for an ag mechanics class. I think it could be fun, but I don't think I would teach it to my welding class since it would probably be a bunch of boys looking to be in the shop welding. But cool approach and spin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that choosing something you were really comfortable with was a good choice. I think that many of us just stretched ourselves too far. I like how an ag class can be a place to learn about everything just not cows lol. the connections and transitions are something that will come with practice. I think you ha them but lessons can get away from us

    ReplyDelete