Friday, August 8, 2014

Pondiferous moments

Pondiferous: (adj) to ponder, mull over, consider, or discuss; usually of deep philosophical context (but does not have to be)
(Word credit: Courtney Angel, 2014 AgriCorps member)

Today would have marked a week of being in Liberia... but we are not in Liberia. We are in Florida (similar climate, severely different culture).

Today also marks 2 weeks of being with my AgriCorps team: learning, traveling, laughing, dancing, living. I have learned much over the past 2 weeks: whether it is learning about the lives of those who I am with, how to cope in unique situations, about tropical agriculture, how to make a trellis, or simply learning how to be content... we'll ponder contentment a little later.



So here I am in a lovely guest house on the ECHO Global Farm property in Fort Myers, Florida. After 2 full days of driving from Dallas, we arrived on Sunday evening to two spacious guest houses with full kitchens - lots of space to spread out (we all got our own rooms after being squished in an apartment and hotel rooms for 4 nights!). We definitely needed some decompression time, but then we got to jump right in to a week full of learning and fruitful labor! While here at the farm, we've been able to attend a daily seminar/lecture about some aspect of global agriculture/travel. Topics have included: nutrition, problems in tropical ag development, cultural immersion, underutilized crops, appropriate technology, and a few more. Our composition note books are filling up with lots of useful information.

Appropriate Technology talk - these are Rocket Stoves!

A rice hull cooker - super hot and efficient

Carpet gardens - using wicking technology in an "urban" setting
In addition to great talks, we got to work with the ECHO interns around the farm over the past several days. On Tuesday, I was given a machete (yes, I have been waiting a while for this, please see former machete post) and asked to take down some past-production banana stalks. Talk about using built-up energy! After chopping apart 2 full grown stalks, we helped sort seeds in the seed bank before lunch... I have a new found respect for white sesame seeds. Wednesday's labor included building a trellis from bamboo stalks - Leah and I may have struggled a bit, but we eventually got one up! Then yesterday was "farm day" where all the interns and some employees break out to do weekly farm tasks - Cassella and I worked with an intern and volunteer to move over 100 cinder blocks from one location to another to disassemble and set up shade garden tables... talk about full body pain... it was good hard work!

Everyone got to partake in the sesame seed sorting due to the thunderstorms :)

Fenangling a trellis together with Leah for Loofah plans!

The final product! Please do not lean, climb, or blow on the trellis. 
Other than the pain that can ensue from literally carrying around a ton of bricks, we have been having a great time so far. Today is a work day to catch up on our "assignment" of developing 3 full lesson plans (each) of relevant content for west Africa - a great thing to have to do when in walking distance of one of the best tropical agriculture libraries in the U.S.!! While I do have some lesson planning experience, this will be a good refresher and means of learning a bit more about the agriculture I will have to experience.

Tomorrow will be a good "down" day - we're going to a local beach for the day :) Maybe get to see a nice Florida sunset like this one I caught on our way down here...


THEN, on Sunday, we will be traveling up to my ex-hometown, Gainesville!!!


We will be working further on our ag education background and teaching experiences by teaching one of our lessons to some Ag Ed faculty and PhD students at the University of Florida! I am excited to see Gainesville again, as I haven't been there in over 10 years, and I am super excited to tap into the great AEE resources at UF!

On Wednesday and Thursday we will travel back to Texas to prepare for our DEPARTURE TO GHANA!!! Yes, we are leaving next weekend - we will fly out of Dallas on Saturday, August 16 with just one layover in Amsterdam before arriving in the capital city of Accra!

Now for some reflective and pondiferous writings...

Has it sunk in that we will be in Ghana in 9 days? No, not really... but that probably has something to do with all the craziness over the past 9 days. Just 9 days ago, we were expecting to be leaving shortly for Liberia. Meanwhile, the whole world is freaking out about Ebola virus - something that was still not of concern to us due to our non-affiliation with medical places. However, I was feeling pressure from my family and friends about the situation and their discomfort of us going (and my team mates also felt said pressure). I was torn for several days - trust our AgriCorps leadership with wise decisions (which were still pointing to Liberia) or avoid the uncomfortable situation of causing constant anxiety for my family... thankfully I didn't have to choose between the two, and thus began the crazy change in plans/places. Let's keep this organized:
  • Morning of Tuesday, July 29 - we still thought we were leaving for Liberia on Thursday
  • Evening of Tuesday, July 29 - we were told departure was delayed 2 weeks to assess Ebola situation
  • Evening of Thursday, July 31 - we were told we were going to Ghana instead of Liberia
  • Thursday and Friday nights - all of us share a 1 person apartment (with sufficient floor space) before roadtripping 
  • Morning of Friday, August 1 - we were told we leave the following day to drive to Florida for a week at the ECHO farm
  • Saturday and Sunday, August 2 and 3 - drive to Fort Myers, Florida with a stop in Mobile, Alabama
  • Monday to Wednesday, August 4-6 - work at ECHO farm with no knowledge of the following week's plan
  • Wednesday, August 6 - we were told our plans for the following week: Gainesville, drive home, fly out Saturday the 16th 
  • TODAY, Friday, August 8 - I think we now know how its going to look... at least until we get to Ghana... 
As you might imagine, all of these changes, transitions, and places of residence could easily frustrate and irritate our team... however, I feel blessed to be in a group that is so flexible and mature at handling the situation. I personally have been learning more and more about what it means to be content

No, I don't picture myself in Ghana in less than 2 weeks. Yes, I am enjoying where I am right now. Yes, I get frustrated at times, but it passes quickly. Yes, I am living in contentment. 

Paul sums it up pretty well in this letter of his to the Philippians: "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."

But to place that verse in context, I will leave you with the whole passage - one that reflects the struggles that will continue over the next year... and ending in the verse that will hopefully find true meaning in my life in Ghana.

[Philippians 4:10-13]

10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Just as an added bonus, here are a few shots from a hiking path I found this morning at a local nature preserve.





Until next week (or until something drastically changes again) - I'm signing off for a nice relaxing day at a Florida beach :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment