Thursday, October 2, 2014

"Do you understand what I am saying?"

When I asked the 9th grade class how my English is different from theirs (referring to the fact that they spell esophagus with an "o" because they speak/write in UK English), I was told that "you speak fast" and "please, madam, your English is very deep." Because I had previously received the "deep" English speaking comment from a taxi driver, I knew it meant my accent is simply very different from theirs. However, I don't want this to get in the way of my time here - so I constantly ask the question above: "do you understand what I am saying?"

This week is my first week of teaching students!! Time for another student quote:

 “You taught so different than what we were used to. The African teachers, they don’t do what you did. What you did – when you gave us the papers to match them and made us work through the processes in groups – I know I will remember the content better. I will think back to the lesson and say ‘this is what madam taught us.’ And the lesson, it went by really fast... we enjoyed it very much.” ~9th grade student and 4-H member referencing the first lesson of a unit on animal digestion

Time to throw some credit to my wonderful teaching preparation program – Penn State Teach Ag (Agricultural and ExtensionEducation)! Without such great advising and emphasis on diverse teaching styles, I would not have received such encouraging remarks from these students – Thanks PSU AEE!!

A lot has happened since my last blog post – I am surprised to find myself claiming that I have been pretty busy over the past few weeks. Actual teaching (for me) began this week, and thus far I havem taught the first lessons of the 9th grade animal digestion unit and the 8th grade human reproduction and growth unit.

Yes, I am teaching 8th graders about human reproduction. But I am super thankful that the first lesson wasn’t as awkward as I expected it to be: I drew the male reproductive system on the board (on my first day of teaching) and taught them about each part and its function... and nobody giggled! Either they didn’t really know much about the system before I taught it or they are super afraid of this obroni (white foreigner) and don’t want to risk laughing in class. Regardless, it was a pretty successful lesson! I know I still need to speak slowly for these lessons, but I was surprised at how much the children actually got from the first day’s content! I’m praying that they continue to be interested, I continue to think of creative teaching methods, and they remain respectful so that I don’t have to discipline them...

Just to brief you on discipline in African schools, it usually involves “caning” – using a flexible switch (wooden rod) to smack a child in the back or buttocks. While I cringed at first sight of this act, I soon realized it is an accepted means to discipline youth. Many people (students included) have asked me if I “cane” and, although I never want to have to hit a child with a wooden stick, I have told them that I am not afraid to discipline: this is where the cultural norms and personal ethical philosophy may clash a bit... so let’s just hope the kids are good and I never have to punish them (I know, I am dreaming)!

I said I have been busy – with what you might ask? Well, 4-H is in full swing! Since my last blog post, we have had 5 4-H meetings with member attendance averaging around 50 students! Students registered their home projects, I gave a lesson on record keeping, we had committee meetings (a new concept that seems to be pretty effective! Committees are animal husbandry, crops, and recreation/entertainment), and I facilitated the “human knot” activity. It was quite amusing considering boys and girls didn’t want to touch each other and they initially thought they were supposed to simply “pull” themselves apart... nonetheless, they achieved the goal after a few more tries and we had some entertainment.
First class - group time for the 9th graders!

Human knot!
Yesterday, we spent several hours preparing the school garden for planting. A fence was erected around the sides, ditches were dug, the compost pile was turned, and the children cut down all the weeds. Then, upon completion of the work, we had some “entertainment” from the recreation committee – the chairman had a radio/speaker in the shape of a car and, with a USB jump drive plugged into it, he played various Ghanaian hip-hop songs while students danced in the garden. It made my night! Then I danced in the middle of the 40 or so children and they fell to the ground laughing... needless to say, seeing an obroni dance made their night: especially when I taught the “fisherman” dance move to my fellow 4-H advisor, Richard, and I reeled him across the garden.

There have been several other exciting things happening, but for blog length’s sake I think I will just list them for you!
  • I got a dresser! After “custom” ordering a simple dresser from the carpenter in the next town 3 weeks ago, I now have a legitimate wooden dresser to put all of my clothes and things in (rather than living out of suitcases for a year). It’s not nearly as high quality as my father’s handiwork, but it will certainly do its job (especially for the price I got it!). My room now definitely feels like home.
  • My little “brothers” now have American toys – I gifted some Hotwheels cars to them that my mother sent in a care package with Dustin (when he went back to the US) and now they only play with them. While they enjoy them, I am noticing they were content without these toys and didn’t fight as much before I gifted them... an interesting discussion on materialism to be had later.
  • Over 60 students came to the house the other day to clear the grass in the front yard as a favor to Richard. While cutting, someone injured and killed a decent sized lizard and they brought it to me... so I did what any science teacher would do and dissected it (using 2 machetes wasn't the easiest way to do so, but it worked)!
  • One of the 9th grade JHS students, who is the chairman of the animal husbandry committee, gave a wonderful speech to over 200 people at yesterday’s PTA meeting, requesting support from the community for our piggery construction project! I was so proud.
Today marks 1 month since moving into Osiem... time has flown by. And I know if I don't keep my eyes open and on our goals for the year, these next 8 months will disappear before I know it!

My dresser... strapped in the back of a tro tro for the 20 minute ride from town. I was super nervous...

No comments:

Post a Comment