Monday, August 26, 2013

El fin... the end.

So it may be the end of my international experience, but there will never be an end to the relationships, memories, and growth that I have experienced this summer at EARTH University in Costa Rica.


Here I am, home again, after arriving at 1:30 AM yesterday morning (mom picked me up at the Dulles airport since my State College flight was canceled) and relaxing yesterday (during my 22nd birthday!).

And today? The FIRST DAY of my LAST SEMESTER at UNIVERSITY PARK. Crazy. But before I start to discuss the complex thought processes of this aspect of my life, let's reflect on my amazing summer.

If you've been following along, you may have noticed that my summer has involved a beautiful array of opportunities, people, and blessings, as I was studying abroad at EARTH University. 4 months and 4,000 miles away from home, I've learned to be challenged, grow, and seek God in new ways.


Reflecting on my travel journal, I identified several goals early on in the summer:
1) Increase fluency in Spanish with an emphasis on agriculture topics
2) Make friends from around the world and keep in touch with them
3) Be challenged/pushed outside my comfort zone with things I do not know or have complete control over
4) To enjoy the opportunity to be in CR again, to see my families here, and see more of the country
5) Develop an understanding of what I desire to do, career-wise
6) Continue to build global competency

Now to reflect on the major aspects of this experience, which I believe reflect meeting the goals above:
  • Spanish - coming in from sort of "proficient" to leaving with almost "perfect" (according to native speaking sources). 
  • Academic challenge - courses were not as intensive academically, but I was given enough challenges with Spanish use and practical applications. 
  • Career interests - narrowing in, emphasized in international/cultural immersion with agricultural development
  • Practical experiences - machete + planting/managing 36 M2 forage plot. Enough said.
  • Travel - from the gorgeous Pacific coast (north and southern side of the country) to the Panama border - with the opportunity to drive in another country! 
  • Family - from visiting my Turrialba families 3 times to spending almost every day with my international EARTH Christ community family, I would say this was the most successful aspect of my experience. 
Me and my forages plot! It isn't that pretty, but I was still proud.
So how can I conclude this incredible, life-changing experience? Well I don’t think I can ever conclude the friendships made, but I will leave you with some interesting numbers to ponder:
  • 17 weeks away from home (or 4 months)
  • 29 hours a week of classes and work experience
  • 36 square meters of forages to plant and maintain
  • 14 cockroaches killed in my dorm room
  • 10 hand blisters
  • 1 parrot bite, 1 unknown rash, 1 bamboo splinter rash, 1 case of cold/bronchitis
  • 3 weekend trips to my Turrialba home
  • 2 weekend trips to the other side of the country (Guanacaste)
  • 1 semi-complicated trip to the Panama border
  • 2 overnight camping trips
  • 10 visits to our rural agricultural community (El Triunfo)
  • 900 photos on my PHONE... 
  • 3,900 camera photos :)
  • Countless mosquito bites and never-heard-of-before tropical fruits
  • Numerous friendships
  • A lifetime of memories


If I were to select one thing that has benefited me the most, it would definitely have to be the realization of how God can bless us with community wherever we are - we just need to find His love in it and invest in relationships. That may just be my "extrovert" talking, but I know that these friendships have made my time the most memorable ever - and have made me realize that we are to experience God's love and blessings in PEOPLE wherever we are. The meaning of this life is to bring Him glory by loving PEOPLE with His love - it's not about the grades we get or the job we have or the places we've been or the languages we learn. It's about using all of those things to relate to God's children - love them, fellowship with them, learn from them, praise with them.

Some of my beautiful friends; Thiago, Timothy, Gaby, and Uziel to wish me off at the airport!
So now what? Well, after surviving this coming semester of intensive student teacher preparations, I plan to continue with my passion for traveling and seeing people, as I will be going back to Costa Rica in the spring for part of my student teaching experience in a technical agriculture high school there! So I get to see my EARTH family again, God-willing!! And after that? Seeking more opportunities for travel, being immersed in agriculture, pursing work in education or agricultural development, and God knows what!

I have a beautiful and blessed community here, but God has proven faithfulness in whatever situation we are moved in, as long as we are willing to love in those situations. I am glad to be home, but excited for the next time God calls me to an incredible international experience. After all, who says you cannot have roots and wings? "Let us be rooted in the love of Christ where we are yet willing to fly with Him where He desires to take us." 

No comments:

Post a Comment