Tuesday, August 6, 2013

No puede ser...

No puede ser = it cannot be.
AKA - WHAT?! I leave the country in 18 days?! That doesn't make sense. It seems too short. There seems to be too much to do, too many people to see and bond with, too many memories to have to leave behind.
Okay, let's not get started on the sentimental stage just yet, I think I can hold it together for a bit longer. But praise the Lord for what He has blessed me with this summer and what He has been doing here on this campus. I especially sing His praises for this past weekend of fellowship and for the peace He has given me right now as the end of semester projects and assignments come - I am not worried at all!

"Nevertheless I am continually with You, You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, and afterwards You will receive me into glory." Psalm 73:23-24

So other than God being amazing and faithful, I have been doing pretty well. 2 weeks ago I had to take a trip to Panama to renew my temporary visa/passport stamp. So, along with some friends and another Thrifty rental car, we headed to the border. We did not really anticipate the complicated and slightly convoluted system that I had to go through to get "stamped" into and out of Panama in order to be "restamped" in Costa Rica, but with much patience from my friends and a few hours over the border, I became legal again in Costa Rica (I wasn't previously, but my visa would have expired the following day). 

A few photos of the verrrryy sketchy bridge to cross the border



Bienvenidos = "welcome." I wouldn't say we were 100% welcomed by migration, but all went well
Stopped at Cauhita beach/park for a little break on the way back from the border
So after that fun time in Panama, I have been catching up on projects and assignments, as well as preparing to come back to Penn State this fall and dive into PSU Ag Ed student teaching preparation!! 

This past week, we had two days off class, on account of the Ecoromeria that the University participates in. The Romeria is the national event in Costa Rica where Ticos make a pilgrimage (on foot) to the city of Cartago, where the Basilica of our Lady of the Angels is located. There is a story of how God used the appearance of a small stone figure of the Virgin Mary to declare this location as sacred, so Ticos are faithful to the Virgin and travel from all parts of the country to come to the Basilica on August 2nd. EARTH has started participating in this event by placing recycling sorters all along the major routes so that those carrying waste can easily sort and recycle rather than just throw away bottles/trash/etc. Students are obligated to participate in a turn of the "Ecoromeria" which is from 4-6 hours. While I was not obligated to participate, I did visit San Jose during the crazy event and helped at the central office as students were coming and going. 

I also was found at this central office late Thursday night to pick up some friends and take them to Guanacaste for a relaxing weekend. We got lost a few times in San Jose on Thursday night, finding our way to the house of an employee in the international relations office at EARTH and then lost a bit on Friday morning as we left for the Pacific coast, but didn't have problems asking people to guide us out of the city. Ticos are very friendly :) 

From left to right: Me, Gaby, Uziel, Timothy, Fernanda, Thiago.
What a team... and no, there are not 6 people in the 5 seated car. 
Ready to go in our Thrifty car (I am a regular with them)

A view of the La Flor entrance drive - pretty different from the campus drive here

Friday we arrived in Liberia (the town I visited last month) to pick up a friend who is doing his time at La Flor campus. We visited the campus again, had a dip in the pool (see photos), and headed to the beaches of Guanacaste (said to be the most beautiful in the country). 


The best capture of the weekend... planned ahead of time, executed perfectly.
Everyone enjoyed it, even though Thiago was a bit angry at first ;) 
While I didn't take many photos this weekend, it was a trip to remember. We arrived at the beaches Friday evening and, with the generosity of another friend in the area, left our stuff in a nearby house and camped on the sands of Cuenca beach. We even had a lovely campfire on the beach - my first time camping on the beach may have been a little uncomfortable sleeping wise, but the morning view was priceless. There were a few whales out in the bay!!! Then on Saturday we went to another beach for the afternoon, got rained on, I cut my foot and hand on some coral reef (arrecife in Spanish) but got to swim with fishes and enjoy the gorgeous aqua colors of the pacific. 



Saturday night brought some home-cooked food at the house we were at. I am proud to say that I prepared most of the meal while the others were napping - marinated the beef and fish for the grill (Uziel and Fernanda grilled), made a fresh vegetable salad complete with homemade lemon/oil dressing, and cut the cheese and bread. Okay so maybe there wasn't that much to do, but it was still fun to have some time preparing food and enjoying it family-style.


Sunday morning we got up early and, thank goodness, did not get lost in San Jose passing back through. With a stop for some Pizza Hut pizza and to pick up a birthday cake, we headed back to campus. Yesterday was Isahi's birthday, so we surprised him at midnight (Sunday/Monday) with this lovely cake. Again, I am reminded how much I am going to miss this EARTH family... what good memories they have brought. I feel so blessed!! Okay friends, keep in touch. We will talk soon. And if you are back in the states, patiently waiting my return, we will see each other soon (or, in Spanish, nos vemos pronto)!!! Con amor, Allison.


What love we have for him...

I started it... I think I put it on Thiago's face.. then he took revenge on everyone within reach.

The icing dye was a bit strong... 

No comments:

Post a Comment