Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mi familia - friend profiles

There are many things that I will remember from this experience, but one of the most important is definitely the people. I am an extrovert, meaning I like being in groups of people, but more importantly, I just enjoy experiencing other lives (no matter how few or many).
One of my favorite parts about EARTH is the diversity (33 countries represented in the student body from Africa and all the Americas) - diversity not only of nationalities, but interests, personalities, and languages.

What better way to show diversity than to introduce you to a few of my close friends. I wish I could present you to all of them (friends, do not be offended that I am not including all of you) but the post would be too long and I would probably bore you with my love for them.

North American representative - Gaby
What a beautiful woman of Christ this friend has been - I met her first in the christian group that I attend here (JOCREER - I will refer to it often, as all of these friends are involved) and then was randomly (AKA divinely) paired with her for our community experience class. From our first long hike through the campus forest reserve to our talks about Jesus and boys, I have come to appreciate our friendship and will cherish it, no matter over how many countries it spans.

What a lovely lady. 
Where from: Mexico, Mexico
Year/age: 2nd year student, 20 years
Favorite hobbies: Badminton, hang out with friends
Why are you here/why did you want to come to EARTH: I initially wanted to study food processing, then realized that studying agriculture/agronomy would be beneficial to understand the entire food processing chain. I started at my state university in agronomy, but then heard about EARTH and applied.
What is your favorite part about EARTH: I love that, in such a small place, we can learn so much about so many cultures and people.
Best experience thus far: Coming to know Christ while I have been here.

Central American rep - Vanesa
Vanesa is a different case than the rest, but one that I nonetheless need to share. She is the only other student here this summer (semester) studying abroad. She is from Guatemala (but her parents are from China), and her home university is UBC (University of British Columbia). Her undergrad program is Global Resource Systems with a focus on Sustainable Agriculture. For the program, she must select a region of the world to study abroad at for 2 semesters... and considering she is FROM central America, she felt called to focus on the Latin America region and decided to come to EARTH. She is now finishing her second semester here (she was here last fall as well) and will be heading back to Canada soon to finish her last year. Vanesa has taught me a lot about dedication - she is dedicated to all that she does: friends, school work, being a light to others... She has also helped me realize the importance of education (see earlier blog post). I am glad we have become friends while she has been here. She is certainly a light to those around her and a motivational sister in Christ.

From a walk we went on early in the summer - we found a swing set :)
Where from: Guatemala City, Guatemala
Year/age: 3rd year @ UBC, 22 years
Favorite hobbies: Soccer, hanging out with friends
Why are you here/why did you want to come to EARTH: I really love the vision of EARTH - the systems of hands-on learning. I also wanted to be part of what EARTH students are known for as"agents of change" - it pairs well with my personal life vision. Latin America, of course, is another reason, because of the people. Its very similar in the countries and I love the people.
What is your favorite part about EARTH: Knowing people here, their stories and lives, is wonderful. I have really appreciated the relationships and friendships I have made here. All of the people are just fantastic.
Best experience thus far: We were working on a project until 1 or 2 AM on my birthday and some of these amazing people came and surprised me... then we danced to a hilarious Brazilian song. Then, when I thought the day was over (the following evening), I was caked in the face... which was then followed by a cake fight. I love these people and the experiences they've brought.

South American rep - Thiago
"Oh Thiago" is usually how people address this crazy kid. Although I didn't know him well before he left in the 1st week of classes for his 7-week term at La Flor, I got to know him real well the weekend I went to Guanacaste (see earlier blog post) and of course now that he is back here and a regular in our group of friends. Thiago is like the younger brother I never had to pick on. We share the "bularse" (teasing/bothering) and often result to semi-physical manners of communication (he messes with my hair, I bit his hand, etc.). He may be forgetful with things, but isn't forgetful in loving his friends. I am thankful for his patient heart, as we constantly tease him, and his willingness to approach someone if they look like they are having a bad day and do something stupid or crazy to make them laugh. This Brazilian will certainly be one I will miss (to pick on).

With his medal - his team won the campus indoor soccer championship! 2 years in a row :)
Where from: Cearรก, Brazil
Year/age: 3rd year, 23 years
Favorite hobbies: Soccer (Thiago is said to be the best goalie on campus), hang out with friends
Why are you here/why did you want to come to EARTH: I have always had an interest in agronomy and agriculture. I assisted a technical agriculture high school and then worked at a banana plantation for a year and a half before applying to EARTH.
What is your favorite part about EARTH: I love that I have learned a lot about culture, language, and people... and that I will have these friends for my entire life.
Best experience thus far: Just being involved with the christian group (JOCREER) and meetings has been one of the best things - when we leave our meetings and just hang out in the student commons area, fellow-shipping and talking, I really enjoy it.

African rep - Timothy
Timothy is one of those people that simply exudes the love of Christ for those around him. As Gaby once said, when he smiles, it's like he is smiling with his whole face, and you can't help but catch whatever joy is on his heart. His genuine friendship is felt by many many people on this campus and I know God has a plan for him and his spiritual leadership here. I find his strength to be inspiring as well - for him and almost all of the 50-something African students here at EARTH - as they do not get to go home to be with their families for the entire 4 years here. Furthermore, due to some visa problems, Timothy was not able to come to CR a few months earlier (as the African students usually do) to learn Spanish before starting classes in their first year, so he arrived 1 day before classes started, not knowing any of the language. It is definitely by his persistence and passion for being here that he got through to be a wonderful communicator in Spanish today (not to mention in English, his native tongue, and another Nigerian common language). Timothy gets to do his "pasantia" internship this fall in Florida, working with the University of Florida, so he will get to come and experience the U.S. (and all its diverse, unhealthy food) soon enough!

Taking a few professional shots at the Panama border - note bridge in background :)
Where from: Oyo, Nigeria
Year/age: 3rd year, 26 years
Favorite hobbies: Soccer, listen to music and sing, hang out with friends
Why are you here/why did you want to come to EARTH: I have a strong interest in agriculture and I feel that God's calling in my life includes agriculture, so I want to learn as much as I can to be prepared to fulfill that calling. I had previously studied in a technical agricultural high school and was studying agronomy for a year at a local university before applying.
What is your favorite part about EARTH: I love the multi-cultural aspect of EARTH, that we are like a mini-globe with many people and cultures. I also really appreciate the hands-on approach to the university's academic model.
Best experience thus far: Being a part of the christian community here (JOCREER) has been extremely beneficial to my spiritual growth - I do not know where I would be today in my faith without it.


I hope you enjoyed meeting some of the many wonderful friends I have made here. I will say it over and over - God has been outstandingly faithful in blessing me with a community here... one that I feel I belong to and one that I believe won't end when I leave in 9 days.


I love these people! Learn to love those who are around you and you will have the best time of your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment